How to make mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot. Perfect side dish that can be made in your 3 quart, 6 quart or 8 quart pressure cooker.
Mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker that I don’t make them any other way. It just takes 10 minutes once it comes to pressure. Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for Sunday dinner or any of the holidays. Everyone like their potatoes a bit different but I am a traditionalist. My mom always made them with milk and butter. Unless she made her cheesy potatoes. I will have to make those for you guys soon.
I love to pair these mashed potatoes with Instant Pot beef tips with mushrooms.
This post contains affiliate links.
Instant Pot Steamer Basket
Unlike making mashed potatoes on the stove I don’t like my potatoes to sit in water. I use my steamer basket to keep the potatoes above the water line. If you don’t have a steamer basket you are missing out I use it all the time for eggs and vegetables, especially broccoli. I have the 3 quart steamer basket and use it both in my 3 quart and 6 quart. Want a bigger basket? Here’s a 6 quart steamer basket.
No more having to pour scalding hot water out of a pot. Just use a pot holder and lift your steamer out of the Instant Pot by the silicone handle.
How to make Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Peel, cube and rinse potatoes.
- Add water to the bottom of the Instant Pot liner.
- Place potatoes in streamer basket. Put steamer basket into Instant Pot.
- Cook on 10 minutes manual high pressure with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Transfer cooked potatoes into a mixing bowl and mash with milk and butter.
- 2 lbs of Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Cup of Water
- 3/4 Cup of Milk
- 3 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot
- Put cubed potatoes into the steamer basket. Place into Instant Pot.
- Place lid on the pot cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add milk and butter then mash potatoes with a masher or whip with a mixer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sour cream is a great addition to this recipe if you want it a bit creamer add 1/4 of a cup.
Which Instant Pot do I have?
I have two Instant Pots.For making side dishes, steaming vegetables or smaller portions I love to use my 3 quart. Cooking meats and main entrees I mostly use the 6 quart duo. If you are cooking for a bigger family or like to make a lot of soups I would recommend getting the 8 quart.
Looking for a way to store your Instant Pots? Check out how I use this Instant Pot cart.
Mashed or Whipped?
Do you like your potatoes mashed or whipped? It always seems to be the question. In my family we like them mashed with a chunk of potato here or there. We always use a potato masher. If you like them whipped did you know you can just put them in your mixer for a perfect whip. Have an immersion stick blender? That works too.