Blueberry crumble bars with coconut. The easiest crumble bars made with blueberry jam, shredded coconut, and buttery shortbread dough.
When blueberry season begins one of the first things I make every year are my blueberry crumb bars. A perfect combination of a shortbread crust, a sweet blueberry layer, and a gold brown crumb crust topping it all off. It’s one of my favorite easy desserts. A quick recipe that will impress a crowd. These easy blueberry crumble bars are reminiscent of fresh blueberry pie, but much easier to make and the perfect dessert to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I love this versatile recipe because these blueberry bars can be made year round using blueberry jam. But they taste like you just went blueberry picking a bushel full of juicy blueberries. The buttery shortbread-like base is balanced by the juicy blueberry filling, and the addition of coconut adds a nice sweet tang.
Fruit crumble bars are an easy dessert and can be customized to your preference with simple ingredients and what you have on hand. These easy bars handle substitutions well, you can use fresh fruit, ripe berries or any other type of jam you prefer.
Not in the mood for blueberry? Try these raspberry crumble bars.
Blueberry Crumble Bars Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter – You’ll want to make sure it’s softened so it will be easier to cream with the sugar
- Sugar – I use white, but in a pinch brown sugar would work as well
- Flour- Use all purpose flour
- Shredded Coconut– I use sweetened shredded coconut but you can also use unsweetened. Don’t like coconut you can leave it out.
- Vanilla Extract– Adds great flavor.
- Salt– Balances the sweetness.
- Blueberry Jam
How to make Blueberry Crumble Bars
Preheat oven to 350º F. Ggrease or line at 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream together room temperature butter and white sugar with the paddle attachment. You can also use a hand mixer. Mix in an egg, vanilla and salt just until combined. Add flour a cup at a time, and once combined add coconut.
Press two thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the pan of a prepared baking dish forming the base of the bar. Spread blueberry jam in an even layer. Crumble remaining dough over the top of the blueberries to form the crumb topping.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the crumble topping turns golden brown. For best results, let cool and cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- 1 Egg
- 11 oz of Blueberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in an egg, vanilla and salt just until combined.
- Add flour a cup at a time. Once combined add coconut.
- Press two thirds of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan.
- Spread jam evenly. Crumble remaining dough over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
This is an estimated value.
If you don’t eat these right away they keep well for about 3-5 days in an airtight container at room temperature. They also freezer well for a few months.
Now these are supposed to be a dessert or an afternoon snack but I have to admit I am known for sneaking one or two for breakfast.