Lasagna soup has become a favorite comfort food during soup season in my house. All the flavors of lasagna in a fraction of the time with beef, tomatoes, lasagna noodles, Italian seasonings and creamy ricotta cheese.
I love lasagna but it can take a lot of time to prepare. Lasagna soup is so easy to make and taste just like lasagna. Dare I say this is easy enough to be a weeknight dinner! We joke in my family that this is just deconstructed lasagna or lazy man’s lasagna. I am not sure we will ever make traditional lasagna again.
This is a great recipe to make on a cold winter night when you just want a bowl of soup to warm you up. It’s the perfect comfort food with rich tomato sauce, lots of cheese and the goodness of lasagna.
Lasagna Soup Ingredients
- Ground Beef– Use a lean ground beef.
- Olive Oil– For heating your pan while browning beef and cooking the onions.
- Onions– A yellow onion chopped into small pieces.
- Garlic– Fresh minced garlic you can also use jarred minced garlic.
- Tomato Paste– Adds a depth of flavor to the broth. Intensifies the umami tomato flavors.
- Marinara Sauce– 24 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce. Canned tomato sauce will also work.
- Italian Seasoning– Dried Italian seasoning containing dried basil, dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried thyme and dried marjoram.
- Chicken Stock– To control salt levels use a low sodium chicken broth.
- Lasagna Noodles– Break into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Baby Spinach– Fresh baby spinach is a great addition to any soup its a good source of fiber.
- Mozzarella– Shredded Mozzarella cheese I used low moisture.
- Ricotta– You can’t have lasagna without the ricotta. I like to use a park skim ricotta cheese.
List of full ingredients and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
Substitutions and Variations
- Meat– You can use Italian sausage, spicy sausage, ground turkey or ground oorkinstead of ground beef.
- Vegetables– Don’t like spinach? Leave it out. You can also add zucchini or mushrooms when sautéing the onion.
- Cheese– Parmesan cheese also works great in this recipe.
- Broth or Stock– Beef broth or vegetable stock also works great with this recipe.
- Vegetarian Option– Omit the ground beef and chicken stock instead use vegetable stock and add some move veggies. I like to add more vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Pasta Substitutions– Don’t have lasagna noodle use pasta. We’ve made this with shells in the past and it’s been delicious!
How To Make Lasagna Soup
- Grab a large pot and heat to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and start browning the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Once browned drain and remove beef.
- In the same pot add the remaining olive oil and sauté onions for about 3-4 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute before adding tomato paste. Stir tomato paste incorporating it into the onions and garlic letting cook for an additional minute.
- Add cooked ground beef to the pot and stir in marinara sauce.
- Add chicken stock, Italian seasoning and remaining salt and pepper. Let come to a boil.
- Once boiling add in lasagna noodles breaking them into quarters.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook for about 20 minutes stirring every once in a while.
- Once you have tender noodles stir in your baby spinach and remove from heat.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and a dollop of ricotta cheese.
I like to serve this soup with garlic bread and have fresh basil and red pepper flakes available to top the soup.
Store leftover lasagna soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You can definitely make this ahead of time. Just don’t add the noodles or the cheese (Steps 1-5). Store in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat bring the soup back to a boil and add in noodles and serve with cheese. (Steps 6-9).
Lasagna soup can be frozen. I do suggest leaving out the noodles and cheese. It can be stored in a freezer 1-3 months. When ready to serve thaw soup and bring to a boil. Add in noodles and serve with mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onions, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 24 oz Marinara Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 6-8 Lasagna Noodles
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock (Low Sodium)
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 2 Cups Mozzarella, Shredded
- 10 oz Ricotta
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown meat and season with salt and pepper. Once browned drain and remove beef.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pot and sauté onions for about 3-4 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add tomato paste and stir into the onions and garlic letting cook for an additional minute.
- Return meat to the pot and stir in marinara sauce, chicken stock, Italian seasoning and remaining salt and pepper. Let come to a boil.
- Once boiling add in lasagna noodle breaking them into 1-2 inch pieces. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for about 20 minutes stirring every once in a while.
- Once the noodles are tender stir in your baby spinach and remove from heat.
- Serve with shredded Mozzarella cheese and a dollop of ricotta cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1129mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 40g
Nutrition values are estimates only.