The best classic margarita recipe with lime juice, triple sec, tequila and limeade.
Over the years I have become known for my margaritas. A classic margarita is my go to recipe when entertaining or just having a cocktail on the patio. Today I wanted to share my classic margarita recipe that is simple and delicious.
This classic margarita uses limeade as a base for the cocktail with tequila, triple sec and lime juice. With only 4 ingredients it doesn’t get much easier than that. It can be made as a single serving or in a pitcher.
Love margaritas? Try a few of my favorite margarita recipes
- Christmas Margarita
- Watermelon Margarita
- Strawberry Lemonade Margarita
- Cranberry Margarita
- Pineapple Margarita
Also try out this Summer sangria recipe.
What is in a classic margarita?
- Tequila (preferably teal)
- Triple Sec or orange liqueur like Grand Marnier
- Lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Salt or sugar for rim
SILVER TEQUILA OR GOLD?
Traditionally margaritas are made with silver or reposado tequila. If you are looking to make more of a unique or smoky margarita try a mezcal tequila.
For me the only answer is silver tequila and I can be picky. My favorite 3 silver tequilas are
- Patron Silver
How to make a classic margarita
In a cocktail shaker add limeade, tequila, triple sec and lime juice. If you don’t have a shaker a mason jar works just fine if you strain the ice. Make sure the covers on tight and shake it! Up, down and all around.
Rim your glass with salt or sugar. Pour the margarita into a glass over ice and top with a slice of lime.
- 4 oz. Limeade
- 1/2 oz. Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz triple sec or orange liqueur
- 2 oz Tequila (I prefer clear)
- Top with a slice of lime
- Add all ingredients to your cocktail shaker. Tip if you don't have a shaker a mason jar works just fine if you strain the ice. Make sure the covers on tight and shake it! Up, down and all around.
- Now pour into a glass over ice and top with a slice of lime.
Use coconut tequila to make it even more tropical.