This post contains affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy.
This crockpot hamburger helper recipe is a nostalgic classic comfort dish using simple ingredients that will be a family favorite for busy weeknights!
If you’re looking for an easy dinner idea, this crockpot hamburger helper recipe will not disappoint. The cheesy goodness and delicious flavor is a easy meal that is great for colder weather when you are craving something hearty. Growing up, my mom used to throw together a quick weeknight meal by grabbing a box of hamburger helper.
I wanted to recreate that dish, but with homemade foods that were less processed. I also love easy slow cooker recipes that allow me to prep in the morning, and have a delicious hot meal waiting at dinner when the day gets hectic.
This has become a dish that is in regular rotation in my dinner routine over the winter. This homemade version of hamburger helper is a perfect comfort food that reminds me of my childhood, but I’m not gonna lie, is so much better than the boxed mix they sell in the grocery store. While the original boxed version is made on the stove top, this is one of my favorite crockpot recipes because you can make a big batch and have it ready for dinner time throughout the week.
It’s one of those easy meals that I typically make because I usually have all of the ingredients on hand, and if I don’t it’s easy to make substitutions and still end up with a satisfying meal. Don’t have ground beef? Use ground turkey. Add different spices to your taste – chili powder or Worcestershire sauce are great additions.
Crockpot Hamburger Helper Ingredients
- Olive Oil – I use olive oil when browning my meat, but vegetable oil or a tablespoon of butter will also work
- Ground Beef – I prefer lean ground beef, at least 93% lean. If you want to make a healthier version you can also use ground turkey
- Onion & Garlic – diced onion and either fresh or bottled minced garlic
- Tomato Sauce – I get a jar of simple sauce with no added flavorings, but you can also substitute tomato paste or a squeeze of ketchup
- Seasonings – Besides the standard salt & black pepper, this recipe calls for Italian seasoning and garlic powder
- Beef Stock – I always use the low or reduced sodium beef broth, this makes it easier to control how much salt goes into the recipe
- Shell or Elbow Pasta – for a more traditional looking Hamburger Helper you can use elbow pasta
- Half and Half – or heavy cream will work it is just more indulgent
- Shredded Cheese – I prefer cheddar cheese in this recipe
How to Make Crockpot Hamburger Helper
In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil and brown beef, and drain the excess fat. In a crockpot add the beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper and beef stock. Mix until the sauce and beef stock are incorporated.
Cook the beef mixture on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. Add in pasta, half and half and cheese. Stir and cook for an addition 25-30 minutes, or until the you have tender pasta. Serve and enjoy! We love serving this with a crusty bread or these air fryer green beans.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Onion, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic, Minced
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Cups Beef Stock
- 3 Cups Shell or Elbow Pasta
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat a medium sized frying pan add olive oil and brown the ground beef.
- In a crockpot add beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper and beef stock. Mix until the sauce and beef stock are incorporated. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Add in pasta, half and half and cheese. Stir and cook for an addition 25-30 minutes. Pasta should be tender.
- Serve and enjoy! We love serving this with a crusty bread and vegetable.
Heavy Cream can be used I just prefer half and half.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 584Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 790mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 35g
Nutrition values are estimates only.