A perfectly moist zucchini bread with the chocolate chips. Easy recipe to double to share with a friend or freeze for a quick dessert.
This zucchini bread with chocolate chips recipe will have you dreaming of summer and a garden full of zucchini. This recipe is a perfect way to use up an abundance of zucchini from your garden, but it’s also my favorite quick bread recipe that I crave and make year round.
A moist loaf very similar to the texture of a chocolate chip banana bread, this quick bread gets it’s moistness from the addition of the zucchini. If zucchini isn’t in season yet, it’s easy to find in the produce section of you grocery store, making it a great recipe to make year round.
This classic zucchini bread is a delicious treat has a wonderful chocolate flavor with the addition of lots of chocolate chips. Feeling extra sweet? Add some cocoa powder for a double chocolate zucchini bread.
What I love about this recipe is that is easily doubles so you can make two loafs. This zucchini bread freezes well – if it lasts that long!
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips Ingredients
- Sugar – I use white, but in a pinch brown sugar would work as well
- Vegetable Oil – You can substitute with greek yogurt, but this is such a moist bread I typically stick to oil
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Ground Cinnamon – Don’t skip the cinnamon, it add a nice depth of flavor to the bread
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt – The holy trinity of baking!
- Shredded Zucchini – About 1 medium fresh zucchini and you can shred with a box grater (cheese grater) or in a food processor
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – I love the taste of semi-sweet chocolate in this recipe, but dark chocolate chips work great
How to make zucchini bread with chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350º F and spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. In a large mixing bowl whisk together sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients then combine flour mixture with the sugar mixture. Mix just until combined. Zucchini has a ton of moisture, so you want to make sure to extract the excess liquid from the grated zucchini. Don’t skip this part! Place zucchini in a cheese cloth or kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess water.
Fold the zucchini into the batter along with chocolate chips, then pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes until golden brown and a cake tester or butter knife comes out of the center of the loaf clean.
Let the entire loaf cool for a few minutes on a wire rack. Slice into individual slices and enjoy warm with butter!
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
- 3/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray or line with parchment paper a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients; flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine flour mixture with the sugar mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Extract the excess liquid from the shredded zucchini. Place zucchini in a cheese cloth or kitchen towel and squeeze out the liquid.
- Fold the zucchini into the batter along with chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes. Until golden brown and a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy warm with butter!
This recipe can easily be doubled. I usually make two and freeze one for later.
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
Nutrition values are estimates only.
More quick bread recipes
These are some of my favorite and most popular recipes-