This blueberry coffee cake recipe is the perfect breakfast recipe to feed your family or a crowdpleaser.
It’s blueberry season here which means it’s time to make blueberry coffee cake. I feel like everyones go to recipes for blueberries are blueberry muffins or blueberry pie. Well in my family we make blueberry coffee cake.
For as long as I remember my moms been making this and sending it home with me to have breakfast for the week. So today I thought why not share this family recipe with you to enjoy with your family.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why make a sour cream coffee cake?
Why add sour cream to your coffee cake? Adding sour cream makes the cake moist, adds flavor and richness. The acid in the sour cream tenderizes gluten in the flour and allows for a finer crumb. Cream cheese is also a great addition to a coffee cake interms of richness and moisture. This chocolate chip coffee cake is made with cream cheese.
When is blueberry season?
Blueberry season really depends on where you live. In New England out season typically runs from early July to early September. But in the South some states are as early as April. The great thing about blueberries is that they freeze well. So if you do get the chance to go blueberry picking don’t be afraid to pick a few extra to get you through the Winter.
Love this baking dish? I found a similar one here.
Looking to feed a crowd? This recipe makes a 13×9 dish. It’s enough to bring to a brunch, potluck or for on the go breakfasts for the week. Make too much? Freeze the left overs.
- 3 Cups + 1 Tablespoon of All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
- 2 Cups of Blueberry
- Preheat over to 350 degrees and grease 13x9 pan
- In a medium bowl sift 3 cups of flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- At low speed alternate adding flour mixture and sour cream until combined.
- In a greased 13x9 pan spread evenly half of your batter.
- Sprinkle half your blueberries and half of the brown sugar mixture on to your batter.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly over your blueberries and top with remaining blueberries and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake on 350 for 45-50 minutes.
Coffee Cake is Best Made For
- Make for work
- On the go breakfast
- To treat yourself
- Special occasions