This easy overnight french toast recipe is not only delicious it will save you time in the morning and feed a crowd.
When you need to feed a crowd in the morning or the stress of holidays has you busy overnight french toast casserole is a recipe you want to have on hand. You can make it the night before and put it in the oven in the morning.
If you love french toast but don’t want to be flipping individually slices of toast for a crowd this french toast bake is your saving grace.
This recipe is decadent and delicious. The brioche is sweet and soaked in a brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon custard mixture. Love this but want to switch it up. You can use this recipe as a base and replace the chocolate chips with berries.
Does french toast casserole have to sit overnight?
No, technically overnight french toast can be made the same day. Just let it sit for 30 minutes so the egg mixture can soak into the bread.
Which bread is best to use for French toast
Now you can use any bread but I prefer brioche. Brioche is a soft bread I am not a fan when my french toast is too crunchy. It is made with more eggs and butter than most bread which gives it a rich flavor. Some people like to make their french toast in whole slices but for a casserole I like to cube the bread into bite size pieces. One loaf should be more than enough to fill your 13×9 baking pan.
Looking for a place to buy brioche? I really like the brioche from Trader Joes or Aldi.
Overnight French Toast Ingredients
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
- Light Brown Sugar
- Confectioner’s sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Cold Butter
How to make overnight French toast
Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish. Cut Brioche bread into bite size pieces and layer in the baking dish. In a medium sized bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
Add chocolate chips to your baking dish of cubed brioche. The pour egg mixture over the bread and chocolate chips. Cover and store in the fridge overnight or atleast for 30 minutes.
In the morning take the pan out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 20-30 minutes. You don’t want to put a cold pyrex in the oven it can shatter.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For the topping combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter. Sprinkle topping over your french toast. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. Top with confectioner’s sugar or maple syrup when served. Enjoy!
- 1 Loaf of Brioche Bread Cubed
- 6 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Milk
- 1 tbsp of Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- Confectioner's sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- 4 tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Cold Butter
- 1/2 tbsp of Cinnamon
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Cube Brioche bread into bite size pieces and layer in the greased baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add chocolate chips to your baking dish of cubed brioche bread.
- Pour egg mixture over cubed bread and chocolate chips.
- Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning take the pan out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 20-30 minutes. You don't want to put a cold pyrex in the oven it can shatter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- For the topping combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter.
- Sprinkle topping over your french toast.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Top with confectioner's sugar or maple syrup when served.
Make sure to not put the pan in the oven too cold.
Looking for other breakfast bake recipes? Try these