An easy festive dessert for Christmas using candy canes. These peppermint chocolate chip cookie bars are delicious and the perfect addition to Christmas and cookie swaps.
Is there a better combination than peppermint and chocolate at Christmas? I don’t think so. Combining my two favorite things candy canes and chocolate chip cookies to make peppermint chocolate chip cookie bars.
Remember Tollhouse cookie bars when you were growing up? This is a festive take on those. Peppermint chocolate chip cookie bars are perfect for dessert, cookie swaps or wrapped up as neighbor or coworker gifts. To make these gifts or plates a bit more interesting I like to add some fudge and give a combination of the two as gifts. Santa will also enjoy these with some milk!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s got both the crispy edge pieces and the soft chewy center. While cookies are great I am usually a middle square kinda girl when it comes to my brownies and cookie bars.
peppermint chocolate chip cookie bar Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Light Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Candy Canes
How to make peppermint chocolate chip cookie bars
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease 9×13 baking dish
Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. With a stand or hand mixer cream together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined. Add vanilla extract and mix in one egg at a time until combined.
A 1/2 cup at a time gradually add in flour mixture. Once combined mix in chocolate chips and 5 crushed candy canes. Press cookie dough evenly into greased pan. Sprinkle top with remaining two crushed candy canes. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
- 2 1/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Softened Butter (2 Sticks)
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 7 Crushed Candy Canes (2 Separated)
- Pre heat oven to 375 and grease 9x13 baking dish
- In a medium bowl sift or whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
- With a stand or hand mixer mix butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined. Add vanilla extract and mix in one egg at a time until combined.
- Gradually add in flour mixture a 1/2 cup at a time.
- Once combined mix in chocolate chips and 5 crushed candy canes.
- Press cookie dough evenly into greased pan. Sprinkle top with remaining two crushed candy canes
- Cook at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
How to crush candy canes
How I like to crush candy canes is to put them in a sandwich bag on a cutting board. Using a rolling pin to lightly hit the bag crushing them into pieces. Sandwich bag make get some holes in it from sharp edges. You may need to double the bag.
For this recipe I used five candy canes in the batter and saved two for the topping.