A crockpot beef tips recipe that will become your new favorite comfort food on a cold day or busy weeknights.
Crock pot beef tips in a savory gravy is a hearty meal that packs so much flavor in each tender bite. I love a great crockpot recipe that you can easily prepare in the morning and have dinner waiting for you at the end of a busy day.
It’s a simple recipe the entire family will love! The best part about this easy recipe is that it doesn’t require any searing or cooking of the beef stew meat before you put it in the crockpot. It goes straight from crockpot to dinner table with minimal steps or dishes to clean. This makes it an easy weeknight meal.
Want to make this in your instant pot? Try Instant Pot beef tips with mushrooms.
Crockpot Beef Tips Ingredients
- Chuck Beef Tips – this is my favorite cut of meat to use for stews or slow cooked recipes. You can either buy it already cut into tips, or buy a chuck roast and cut it yourself.
- Onion & Garlic – chopped onion and either fresh or bottled minced garlic.
- Portobello Mushrooms – I prefer portobello mushrooms, but baby bella or white mushrooms would work as well.
- Seasonings – Besides the standard kosher salt & black pepper, the secret seasoning in this recipe is an envelope of Dry Onion Soup Mix.
- Worcestershire Sauce – this adds a nice depth of flavor. If you don’t have any on hand you can substitute soy sauce or red wine.
- Beef Stock – I always use the low or reduced sodium beef broth. This makes it easier to control how much salt goes into the recipe.
- Cornstarch & Cold Water – this makes a great thickening agent without adding any flavor.
What Cut of Beef is Best?
One of the most common questions I get in regards to slow cooking beef, is what cut of beef to buy. While I prefer to use chuck beef tips because chuck has more connective tissue that releases moisture as it slow cooks. This results in a melt-in-your-mouth, fork tender texture.
If you cannot find this cut in your grocery store you could use a rump roast, round roast or top sirloin and cut them into homemade beef tips. If you use a different cut of beef you might have to adjust the cooking time to ensure the texture of the beef is tender.
How to Make Crockpot Beef Tips
In a crockpot add beef, onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours. You know when the beef is done when it is fork tender.
In a small bowl whisk together corn starch and a little water. Stir in the cornstarch slurry and let cook 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken into a flavorful gravy. Stir and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- 2 lbs Chuck Beef Tips
- 1 Cup Onions Chopped
- 8 oz Portobello Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Envelope Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- In a crockpot add beef, onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours. Beef should be tender.
- In a separate bowl whisk together corn starch and cold water. Stir in the cornstarch slurry and let cook 10 minutes. Sauce will thicken into a gravy.
- Stir and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles. I also like to serve with a vegetable like these air fryer green beans.
If the gravy is not thick enough after 10 minutes add and additional slurry with 1 tablespoon and cornstarch 1 tablespoon cold water.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 914mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 52g
Nutrition values are estimates only.